Student e-news: Looking for best practices

Home Forums Engagement Student e-news: Looking for best practices

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello:

What’s the most effective way to communicate college news to existing students? E-newsletter? Move the content to the student portal? Rely only on social media? Other?

At the College of Lake County in the northern Chicago suburb of Grayslake, we serve 13K students on three campuses. For several years, we have emailed a weekly e-newsletter to students using Mailchimp. Based on student feedback, we reduced the story count in 2017-18 to about 10 short, 1-3 sentence blurbs, with hyperlinks to more information on our website. We also have added a photo for each story. The open rate went up from about 25 percent to 30 percent last year, but we’re trying to improve that percentage to at least 50 percent.

We’re re-evaluating our newsletter, considering the staff time it takes to plan and create it every week on top of our many other project. Disbanding the e-newsletter and migrating the content to the web portal is not off the table.

I’m interested in hearing what works for you–especially if your college has roughly the same enrollment and staff size as ours. (We have 10 FT staff and one intern; my role is writing and editing news and marketing copy, and our intern lays out the e-newsletter.) Thanks, and I’d be happy to email a past issue of our e-newsletter, so that we can compare publications and ideas.

Dave

• This topic was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Dave Fink.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.